الاثنين، 5 مايو 2008

The stupid spider



Sitting in the shower wondering if the water would be too cold (as I usually do), I noticed this long legged spider standing under the soap rack. Which wasn’t an unusual event because I noticed standing in the same place yesterday as I was getting out of shower scared of water running all over. Well I’m not very afraid of spiders , in fact I never kill or remove a nesting spider as long as the nest wasn’t in my way. Anyways what caught my attention was that this spider as shown in the picture; had only 4 legs not 8, and it stood still for a whole day and it wasn’t nesting or anything, it was just sitting there!!! But I didn’t want to kill it by opening the shower; so I tried to scare it by spraying little water and blowing. So, naturally the spider ran scared , but as it ran on the smooth ceramic it always slipped back to the soap rack, right then I realized why it was sitting there for so long. As researchers say; animals always go up when exposed to water I sat there watching the spider try to get up and fall back a little. ok this spider seems pretty stupid, the ceramic ends just one inch to the right. He could see it with his eight eyes but instinctively he has to go up. For forty five minutes I sat there watching the spider hardly pulling himself clinging with his butt and falling but not all the way down and turning up again until I realized it wasn’t standing on the ceramic anymore it was as if though she was standing on air. This it hit me, she wasn’t clinging with her butt as I thought, she was sticking silk to the wall, like mountaineers do, and that’s way she never fell down all the way. Pretty soon It was a web. The four legged long spider wasn’t trying to stupidly escape. She was building the nest in the place where no other bug can hold on to its grip thus falling conveniently into her web , what I thought was mindless persistence turned out to be very clever planning. Sometimes wonders happen right under our noses and you don’t need to stray very far to see them. In the end the spider was happy at her home and I was 45 minutes late!! And I still like to think the spider was the stupid one lol.

By, Mohamed shahin.

If you quote please refer to my blog

ليست هناك تعليقات: